Rose water and Coconut ice cream
Over the last few days we’ve thoroughly enjoyed making dairy free, vegan ice cream but today, dear friends, because It’s the weekend and we’re noticing a change in the temperature, we’re here to serve you something a little more tantalizing, something that will simultaneously appease your guilty pleasures and alleviate your apprehension for the imminent summer-ending. This is Frozen Raspberry, Rose Water and Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream. The summer is not going anywhere; it’s waiting for you in a little round coconut.
- 2 cups raw coconut meat
- 1 cup natural coconut water
- 2 1⁄2cups heavy cream or 2 1⁄2cups half-and-half
- 6 -8egg yolks
- 2cups sugar
- 3 -4tablespoons rose water or3⁄4 teaspoon rose extract
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1pinch salt
- Blend the coconut meat and coconut water in a blender to make the creamy coconut milk
- In a medium thick-bottomed pot, slowly heat the coconut milk to boiling while stirring. Add the vanilla extract. Continue to cook on low heat, stirring occasionally while doing the next step.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until smooth and foamy. Very carefully and slowly, pour the egg/sugar mixture into the milk. Make sure to stir it rapidly with a fork or use a whisk while pouring (or you will end up with scrambled eggs in the ice cream!).
- Continue heating the mixture on low heat while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until thickened (it should be foamy and coat the spoon).
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Once cold, stir in the cream and rose water
- Churn in an ice cream maker until finished (or, stick in the freezer and vigorously stir every 30 minutes or so to break up the ice crystals, until it is homogenous and frozen).